Vanakam

Vanakam
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sausa/

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Locks of Love

I have been thinking about getting my hair cut lately just to keep it healthy. I have cut my hair twice this year already. Every time I am at the salon they ask me what I want to do and I say I want a new look and I want to look sexy and hip. Well I have always chickened out and never sliced off too much. Last week a friend of mine had talked to me about Locks of Love but I was not so sure that I wanted to cut off that much. I thought about it for a while and today I took the leap. We recently discovered that my husbands aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer. That was very difficult news to deal with. It was caught in the very early stages during her annual mammogram.See you ladies need to keep that mammogram appointment. It is important. She has her surgery scheduled early next week and then under go radiation for 5-8 weeks everyday. Linda we are thinking about you and we love you and you are strong and you will fight this. I am still learning more about this condition but know lots of people have been through it. Someone out there will benefit from my donation. I am thankful to have hair and was very pleased to give it up. I need some time to get used to the new look. Did you know it takes at least 6-10 pony tails to make a hair piece Why is the minimum length 10 inches?A. The manufacturing process uses up to two inches, leaving only eight inches (jaw length). Most of the children who receive hairpieces from Locks of Love are little girls, and most want long hair. When we need to provide a hairpiece to a boy, we use some of the shorter lengths that have been separated by hand from each donated ponytail. To learn more and to donate your hair please visit : http://www.locksoflove.org/ I will now mail of my pony tail to the lock of love location in Florida. They say it takes 90 day to send out a thank you card. I really do not care about that but it sure would be nice if I could make a certificate of some sort up and stick it in my scrapbook. Priyasha was all confused as to why some kids do not have hair and she said that I will not be the Queen anymore if I cut my hair. I always tell her that she is a pretty princess and her long hair is beautiful. Now her hair is down the middle of her back and she is only 2.5 yrs old. She hopes to do this someday to help some kids. Yes Todd is the king and Pravan is the prince. I am still the queen she says as I helped out at least one child or adult. Someday she will do the same.
The salon I had my hair cut at. This was the most expensive hair cut I have ever had. It was at an upscale spa in the south end of Reno. I was nervous when I got there and then I sat down and waited for about 30 secs. A nice lady offered me a drink. My choices were coffee, tea, water or wine. I immediately yelled out " a glass of wine please " I then looked at her said " Oh wait it is not even ten am" I panicked and was embarrassed and asked for coffee. I rarely drink coffee but I am a tea snob and unless you boil the water, swirl it in the teapot etc etc I will not enjoy it. The coffee was not bad but I wished I had not asked for it. It was even served in a real cute coffee mug. I was impressed.
BEFORE !!!!!
This is the last time for a long time that I will have to dry my hair like this. okay she is cutting it off OMG !!!!!!
13 inches is what she cut off. It is hard even for me to believe.
TaDA !!!!!! I actually did it !!!!
Are you ready ? Okay drum roll pleeeeeeassseeee !!!!!
My six year old took the following picture. A budding photographer I'd say .
Thank you for checking this post out. If you can donate some hair then please help all those kids and adults out there that need a boost in their self confidence and self esteem. If you know of a child you can request that your hair go to that child through their case manager. Do the next best thing for yourself and do a monthly breast exam and keep those appointments. Do a buddy check once a month. Pick a buddy and schedule one day a month to remind each other to do a breast exam. Put it down on your calendar today.

5 comments:

ERIN said...

what a fantastic thing you did!!! you look absolutely amazing! how inspiring.

Unknown said...

ok, well a few things....
I can relate. We jsut had a funeral for a loved aunt 10 days ago. She died of cancer. It was heart breaking. And now, my cildren, whom I did not take to the funeral, think everytime someone gets sick, like a cold, they are going to die. It's really hard. Thank Gof they caught it early!!!! my heart goes out to you guys, cause it's a hard thing to deal with no matter.

and..........you look awesome, young and sexy, yes!!! are you used to it yet???? it took me weeks to see myself in the mirror and remember. Somedays I would go by and gasp when I saw myself, hahahaha. I had 16 inches cut off! but I went a lot shorter than you. I got a sexy inverted bob. Now I wish I had taken pictures!!!!! so glad you did!

have a great day. enjoyed reading your blog as always. I love that you blog so much and about your life. makes me feel sonnected to you!

Jami said...

Oh my gosh...you cut off that much hair and your hair is still longer than mine!!! I think it is awesome that you donated it!! The pictures are great - you have an amazing smile!!

My 13-year-old son spent the entire school year last year growing his out - he ended up donating just over 10 inches. I was so proud of him!!

I wanted to let you know I dropped a postcard in the mail this week to Pravan and Priyasha - sorry I'm so late in getting it out.

hugs, Jami

Melissa S said...

Oh you look sooo fabulous!! You did a great thing for yourself and for someone that will surely appreciate it. Now I bet you won't stop there..I bet you will cut even more off...I once cut off 12 inches and then I kept on going..

BTW..what did you use on your last photo to get the black mist around you? I have photoshop elements...not the full version..is it something that I can get??

The Dolphin Inn said...

What a wonderful thing to do, I have heard of locks of love before and admire any person willing to cut their hair and donate it to such a worthy cause. I wish Linda all the best and hope her recovery if full and speedy (((((HUGS))))) AND you look BEAUTIFUL, I ove your new 'do', suits you, much love XXX