Vanakam

Vanakam
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sausa/

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Retiring the flag with the boy scouts

Hello World,


Pack 512 Troop 15 today decided to retire an old flag. We usually hold out meetings at the fire station in Reno and the boys got to learn a little about fire safety rules as well. 


As always my world is a busy and crazy one. Might I add I would not like it to be any different. This week my friend Kim is her from South Africa visiting me. She has been in my life for 9 years and most of that time we have been oceans apart. She has seen me through one of the hardest moments in my life and I was so happy to see her again after two years. We have been doing touristy things like going to San Francisco and driving around Lake Tahoe. We made it back to Reno in time to catch the flag retiring ceremony with the cub scouts. 


When a flag becomes worn or tattered, it is to be replaced with a new flag and the one one is to be reitred in a proper way. This required theflags to be burned in a ceremonial way with the highest respect.
According to the Boy Scouts of America publication 'Your Flag' 'When our national flag is worn beyond repair, cut it into small pieces that will burn easily and completely on a modest, but blazing fire. This should be done in a simple manner with dignity and respect. Be sure the flag is reduced to ashes unrecognizable as a former flag.


There are many many ways to have a flag burning ceremony. My troop did a informal version but the boys learned about the rules about the flag and how it should be retired. Each boy took a turn to read a little about the flag before we lit the fire in a bowl. The boys did a great job and I as a grown up learnt a lot too. If you have a boy I hope you will consider joining the cub scouts. It is a great amazing program.


Here is what our ceremony looked like. Thank you for stopping by.










Here is some flag ettiquette we should all know and teach our kids: ( This was found on the internet ) 



American Flag Etiquette.


Federal law stipulates many aspects of flag etiquette. The section of law dealing with American Flag etiquette is generally referred to as the Flag Code. Some general guidelines from the Flag Code answer many of the most common questions:

  • The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source.
  • The flag should be flown in fair weather, unless the flag is designed for inclement weather use.
  • The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
  • The flag should not be used for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
  • The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.
  • The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
  • The flag should never have any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind placed on it, or attached to it.
  • The flag should never be used for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
  • When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.
  • The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.
  • When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

I wanted to share this version of the flag retiring ceremony. I read this on the internet and I wanted to share this with you. If you want to read more ways to organize a flag retiring ceremony then you can get some ideas at this link . http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/more/flagretirement_scouts.htm



I AM YOUR FLAG
I was born on June 14, 1777
I am more than cloth shaped into a design.
I am the refuge of the world's oppressed people.
I am the silent sentinel of Freedom.
I am the emblem of the greatest sovereign nation on earth.
I am the inspiration for which American Patriots gave their lives and fortunes.
I have led your sons in to battle from Valley Forge to the blistering desert of the Arabian Peninsula.
I walked in silence with each of your honored dead to their final resting place beneath the silent white crosses, row upon row.
I have flown through peace and war, strife and prosperity, and amidst it all I have been respected.
"Old Glory" is my nickname; proudly I wave on high. Honor me. respect me, defend me with your lives and fortunes. Never let my enemies tear me down from my lofty position lest I never return. Keep alight the fires of patriotism, strive earnestly for the spirit of democracy. Worship Eternal God and keep his commandments, and I shall remain the bulwark of peace of freedom for all people.
FOR I AM YOUR FLAG!
(Stop here until the colors are completely separated. Then continue:)
My red stripes symbolize the blood spilled in defense of the glorious nation.
Let us retire the Red Stripes — Salute!
(burn the RED stripes)
Two.
My white stripes signify the burning tears shed by Americans who lost their sons.
Let us retire the White Stripes — Salute.
(burn the WHITE stripes)
Two.
My blue field is indicative of God's heaven under which we fly. My stars, clustered together, unify 50 States as one for God and Country.
Let us retire the Blue Field with Stars. — Salute.


Thank you for stopping by.







No comments: