Vanakam

Vanakam
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sausa/

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

So much to be Thankful for











Turkey time is here once again.Time for football, pumpkin pie,Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade,gravy, mash potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole and cranberry sauce. Yum !Yum ! My goodness where has the year gone... Seems like it goes by faster each year. This year I am most thankful for my health and my family. The kids are getting bigger and now they can help me with many things around the house. I am thankful for all my wonderful friends and family. Believe it or not I am thankful for a great boss. While the unemployment rate is so high in Nevada, I am so grateful to be part of
Homefolio Magazine and Prudential Sierra Nevada Properties.HomeFolio Magazine is a beautiful and effective media-marketing tool for Realtors.
Check it out  www.homefoliomagazine.com

Today as we gather around the table for a wonderful meal, we give thanks for many many things. I am so glad that my kids appreciate all that they have because in my opinion they are spoiled. Tomorrow they will work on a few craft projects as the turkey is being basted.

My brother is far far away in South AFrica and I will be thinking of him, like I do every day. We did not celebrate Thanksgiving in South Africa but now that I am thankful to be in America and  I try to learn the basics of all these traditions and I feel confident that when my kids are grown and gone I will be visiting them for the holidays and they will know how to throw a feast together.

Most of my friends will be visiting their moms during Thanksgiving, Christmas and other holidays and spending time with family. I wish them all a safe travel. Some of my friends choose to do this because they do not know how to cook a turkey or a ham :( So sad, if you ask me. So what happens to the tradition when their mama is no longer here... what will the younger kids do? What happens to this tradition in the future? I hope they will at least attempt to show the kids, but maybe grandma will.

So what is the history of Thanksgiving? 

When we sit down to our Thanksgiving dinner, we honor a piece of early American history. The story of the Pilgrims and Native Americans serve as a good reminder for all of us to be thankful for what we have--no matter how much or how little.

George Washington declared a feast of Thanksgiving in 1789, and presidents issued similar yearly proclamations after that during the Civil War.

President Abraham Lincoln saw it as a way to unite the country, and he in 1863 he proclaimed a national Thanksgiving celebration on the last Thursday in November.

 It was changed from the last Thursday to the third Thursday by Franklin Roosevelt in 1939 as a way to lengthen the Christmas shopping holiday. In 1941, Roosevelt finally changed the date to the fourth Thursday in November, proclaiming it a Federal holiday in 1941.
You can find a ton more interesting facts HERE

Anyway I just wanted to share a project we did today in preparation for tomorrow. I made four place cards with the kids and a centerpiece. Tomorrow the kids will write their names and help with table seating. I take no credit, as I have not invented these. I downloaded these cards from www.marthastewart.com  I have added these to my blog for your convenience. These do not require hours in the oven or basting, it does need some pasting. I also lost control with the stickles. I love love love stickles. A great product if you have not tried it.It adds glitter and dimension. Check it out HERE

I hope you try out these awesome turkey templates. Here is how mine turned out. 




One card for each of us and a centerpiece.

This is the place card that the kids will add their names to.

This is the large turkey.Notice the glitter glue.

Sorry the lighting was bad. I will reshoot these in the morning. Well Happy Thanksgiving. There are many many more reasons I am thankful. I am very thankful to be here and share some of my joys with you. More to come tomorrow. 

Thanks for stopping by. If you make the turkeys, link back to me so I can check out your creations.

Gobble ! Gobble !

Mwah !!!






No comments: